Tuesday, November 11, 2014

On down the line


The long-anticipated time has finally arrived. My wife, the cats, and I will quit our home of 12 years in Falls Church, Virginia (a near-in suburb of Washington) and resettle in Fredericksburg, about halfway between D.C. and Richmond. Not that far in miles; but what a difference in, uh, just about everything. I expect to write several postings about the new locale.


I'll miss the culture available in D.C.; not that much else. It will still be feasible to drive to Washington to visit a Smithsonian Museum or hear a concert, but a right pain to get there and back. It involves a round trip on the Hell Road, otherwise known as Interstate 95, not only choked with cars piloted by demonic drivers, but a 50-mile construction site. Maybe the road work will improve motoring conditions, maybe it's a payoff for unions supporting some troglodyte politician. Probably both.

Those who know the history of The War (in 'Burg, you don't have to specify which) are aware that two ghastly battles took place in and near the town, in 1862 and 1863, respectively. The second was at Salem Church, now in the midst of suburban development; we will be living a couple of miles from there.


For me, besides the usual turmoil of a house move, this has a kind of existential quality about it. Clearly it is a shift from one phase of life to another. I know it will be a major change, to possibly the last place I will inhabit in this lifetime. We'll see how it goes. But for sure, my wife won't have to navigate the 95 anymore to get to her work. Thank God.

Reflecting Light will go "dark" (as they say in the theater) for at least a week, possibly longer, till I get my internet connection set up again. I hope you'll check back. So long for now.

5 comments:

Toddy Cat said...

Best of luck in your new home.

Rick Darby said...

Toddy Cat,

Thank you. I feel like I've already had more lives than a cat ... In this one incarnation! And another is about to begin.

zazie said...

moving house is like having surgery, it is painful, but worthwhile ; I'll be there when you come back on the web.

Bill said...

One of the best walks I ever took is the five or six miles on the Plank Road/Route 3 starting at the Rappahannock and ending at Chancelorsville. It was a complete history of land use in America, from a colonial/Federal town through 19th century/early 20th century small town, mid-20th "classic" suburbia, later suburbia, exurbia, to rural. It's a special place.

Rick Darby said...

Bill,

Quite a good description. And a long walk!

About five miles west of where our street meets Plank Road, Route 3 gets seriously rural. Almost like you've gone back a hundred years!

Culpeper's old town. which Christy tells me used to be seedy and rundown, has become posh-quaint. A lot of Washington retirees settling there, apparently.